Home » , » Design Ideas for a Reader's Rec Room

Design Ideas for a Reader's Rec Room

Written By Admin on Wednesday, July 11, 2012 | 8:04 AM

(Jennifer Brouwer Design)
I received a lovely e-mail from a reader asking for some decorating advice on her family rec room.

Nancy sent me the following three pictures of her space.  The walls are painted in Benjamin Moore HC-10 Stuart Gold.


The pool table is staying in the room, but the sofa and chairs are being replaced with new ones.

Nancy had initially considered a black and white colour scheme using a mix of solid and bold print fabrics.

She asked me to suggest any other colour/fabric ideas that might work in her space.


The trim and woodwork is painted in gloss white.  I love the unique design of the built-in bookcases and media center!


Here are my ideas for Nancy's 'New Rec Room' decorating palette:

This gorgeous family room by Jennifer Brouwer Design was my initial colour inspiration.

(Jennifer Brouwer Design)
I suggested hanging stationary panels in a gold and white vertical stripe to create the illusion of added height in the space.

(Winslet Soft Gold)
(Silk Tailored Drapery Panels)
(Jennifer Brouwer Design)
I also recommended a soft gold chenille sofa fabric to gently marry the gold walls and white trim, and to add light and softness to the space.  

(Pale Gold Chenille - Brindisi 1007)
Since Nancy is purchasing new furniture for the room, I provided two style options for her sofa and chairs.

Option 1:  A sofa with rounded arms and plump seat cushions for a classic, cozy feel... 

(John Lewis - Padstow)
and white linen club chairs in a complimentary style.

(Baldwin - White Linen)
Option 2:  A steamlined sofa with squared back and arms for a more modern aesthetic...

(John Lewis - Ravel)
paired with two club chairs in soft white leather.

(Lexington - White Leather)
A fun mix of accent cushions in gold and white will keep the space feeling light and fresh.


(Windsor Smith - Riad Linen)
(Thom Filicia - Citrine)
I also recommended a safari print area rug in matching hues to add a bit of fun and whimsy in the space.  After all, this is a games room!

(Valerie DeRoy Interiors)
Nancy has a coffee table in a gloss black finish.  It's strong colour will pop beautifully against the soft shades in the rug.


My final suggestion was to add black accents throughout the room with picture frames, mirrors and curtain rods.  Every space needs a touch of black!

(Jennifer Brouser Design)
I believe this design scheme will create a warm and welcoming games room with a gender-neutral appeal.  With any luck, it may just become the favorite hang-out spot for Nancy and her family!

This was Nancy's very kind response:

Hi Wendi,
Thank you a thousand times over!  I never expected such thought and detail!  I am overwhelmed by your thoughtfulness and plan to get started on this right away.  I love all of your ideas.  They're not ones I ever would have come up with.
When I finish I'll send you the photos!
Best,
Nancy

Thank you, Nancy, for allowing me to share your project with my readers.  I can't wait to see your 'after' photos!

Share this article :

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

 
Support : Your Link | Your Link | Your Link
Copyright © 2013. House Design and Architecture - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger